Monday, May 18, 2009

Sometimes I Wish I Didn't Know

Today my boss called me into her office to tell me that we were laying off the new girl we hired seven months ago. I'm upset, sad and irritated, and part of me wishes she hadn't told me since this isn't happening until next week. How do I go to work each day with the knowledge that she's going to lose her job in a matter of days? I can't say anything to her, but I have to avoid giving her new projects that can't be wrapped up before she leaves. Grrrr...

What pisses me off even more is that today an announcement was made that someone got a promotion and has now become a full-time employee, which I'm sure came with a pay raise. It's interesting that after this decision was made, another was made to let go of someone else. Ugh...so unfair! I was told my boss was given the option to let go of anyone in her department and the new girl was the logical choice. I suppose I should feel relieved but that only makes me feel like a bad person. I really hate this business of letting people go...it sucks all around. Like I said, sometimes I wish I just didn't know a damn thing.

I know she's been looking at job ads, so I hope she finds something soon. I'm really going to miss her...she kind of kept me sane in an office full of crazy. Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the guillotine must fall...and better on someone else.

    ReplyDelete