Friday, August 7, 2009

Dear Mr. Hughes...

At first I was going to let the day go by without mentioning John Hughes’ death, but then I realized I just couldn’t. How could I ignore a man whose movies were a huge part of my life? Although he’d been out of the spotlight and hadn’t written a teen masterpiece for years, the news of his death deeply saddened me. The possibility that he could pull together one last brilliant movie about teen angst is forever gone, but fortunately for us, his legacy lives on forever.

If asked what my favorite movie is, without hesitation I will always tell you Sixteen Candles, even though The Breakfast Club is more widely known for being his best work. Yes, my favorites list is very long and I don’t have the most discriminating eye, but there’s no other movie I’ve watched more than this one. I watched it so much I just gave up keeping track of the number. I’ll watch it on my birthday, if I’m happy, if I’m sad, when I need an escape, or if I’m flipping through channels and I see it. There was one period in my life when I came home from school every day and popped the tape into the VCR. Yes, it got that bad.


Look through my T-shirt collection and you’ll find Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and “I Love Jake Ryan.” My sister gave them to me for one of my birthdays, and they were the best presents I’d received that year. My “I Love Jake Ryan” shirt has been worn so much, his face has faded slightly, but it’s still my favorite shirt.


Even if you weren’t obsessed with Hughes’ films, there was no escaping them. Anyone who was a child or teen of the 80s knows his movies and can remember at least one great quote or memorable scene. How can you not know The Breakfast Club dance in the library or smile when you hear “Bueller. Bueller. Bueller.” It’s impossible to look at Molly Ringwald and not see awkward Sam, the Princess or outcast Andie. Anthony Michael Hall will forever be the scrawny geek no matter how big he gets. When I see Eric Stoltz and Mary Stuart Masterson, I think of that hot “practice kiss” in the garage. Of course, whenever I see that iconic photo of Sam and Jake sitting on the dining room table, as if they’re floating on a cloud, my heart will always flutter.


I always dreamed of writing characters and scenes as well as this man, but it’s just not possible. (Did you know he wrote The Breakfast Club in two days and Planes, Trains and Automobiles over a weekend?!) There is no way anyone can come close to what he’s done, so the only thing you can do is appreciate his work, acknowledge his influence and hope that one day your voice has the power to influence a generation much like his did.

So in honor of the man who heavily influenced my youth and still continues to do so to this day, I will throw on a T-shirt and watch Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club this weekend. (Sadly, the rest of my collection is on VHS in California.) I will laugh, swoon, recite my favorite lines and silently thank the man for always giving me a reason to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment