Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Best Intentions

I start every weekend with the best intentions. I have an agenda of things I want to get done, and when I go to bed Friday night, I honestly feel as if I'll complete the tasks. Then I wake up Saturday morning and find that I just can't bring myself to do anything. Unless I have an appointment scheduled, Saturday ends up being Tivo catch-up day. I plop myself in front of the TV with some waffles and end up wasting the day away in the same position.

So, on Sunday, I'm left with this horrible feeling of needing to get stuff done and before I know it, it's Monday morning and I can't drag myself out of bed to go to work. I know I should be really thankful I have a job (which I am) when so many people don't, but I've been busting my butt day in and day out to keep this job. I feel like in the end, I'm just going to get laid off. Argh.

This past week was a particularly tough work week. Without going into too many whiny details, my boss was a pain and I had way too much stuff to do in a short amount of time. I just have to hang in there for three more weeks. If I can make it until then, I'll have a week off work--that is, if my boss doesn't decide to drive me crazy by calling me about work. Yes, the woman will do it. She's done it before. I got lucky during my last vacation because she was on vacation, too. April 10 cannot get here soon enough. I'm ready to go home to SoCal. I know I was just home in January, but I've been feeling down in the dumps lately and the only thing that brings me out of it is knowing I'll be able to go back soon. I guess it's hard not to feel so depressed, especially given the current state of the country.

So what do I have planned for this vacation? Not much so far. The first priority is to not think of work at all. Then I want to spend some quality time with the puppies. I miss the puppies. And of course I want to spend time with as many people as I can. I miss my people. I also want to check out a comic exhibit. Yes, you read that right. I told you I was going through a comic book phase. Well, it's more like I've become interested in the history of comic books. I read an article on CNN.com about this exhibit at the Skirball Cultural Center in L.A. It looked pretty interesting, so I think I'm going to go up there during the week. Hopefully there won't be too many people. Last year I went to the Superheroes: Fashion & Fantasy exhibit at The Met. It featured superhero costumes from different movies and TV shows and super-hero inspired gowns by big designers. It was very cool to see some of those costumes--especially the one worn by Wonder Woman.

I just really hope the weather is nice while I'm home. Even though California has great weather most of the year, for some reason April Showers always seem to make an appearance. I'm just really tired of winter. It was a rough one, and I'm so glad it's coming to an end. Although, waking up to snow on Friday was not a pleasant surprise. First day of spring and snow? Luckily it didn't stick and melted away by the afternoon. Spring always gives me this feeling that anything is possible. Even though most people see New Year's as a clean slate, I always feel it more in the springtime. I'm much more hopeful during this time of year, more energetic and more compelled to do something or try something new.

OK, time to watch Brothers & Sisters now. Here's hoping this week is better than the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment