Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's Starting to Feel Like Summer

One great thing about where I live is that I'm just a short walk away from one of the most amazing views of NYC. Of course this means I have a great view of the Macy's fireworks display on the Hudson this year. Normally it's on the East River, but for some reason they moved it to my side--which made me very happy.

After weeks of rain and thunderstorms, it finally started to feel like summer. The weather was great today and the sky was completely clear--a perfect night for a massive fireworks display. So, at 9:00 I started my trek to see my first New York fireworks show. It did not disappoint. Here are a few pics:






And here's a short video clip:




Ever since I moved here, I haven't actually gone to see the fireworks display. I don't particularly like huge crowds and I hate traffic even more. When I lived in Jersey City I could hear the fireworks, but I could never really see them. One year I remember going to my bedroom window and seeing a brief glimpse of them, but I usually just sat in front of the TV and watched them--best view if you ask me.

Another year I was driving home from my friend's house in Queens, but I couldn't really see anything since it was overcast and drizzling. The worst part was being stuck in traffic and sent to an alternate route. Other years I was back in California and watching the fireworks either from my friend's balcony or on TV.

I actually really like the 4th of July. There's something about summertime, BBQs, fireworks and hanging outside that appeals to me. It's like the epitome of summer, and I love summer. Of course there are some days I detest it--like when I'm walking around and the air is so thick I can't breathe or the smell of the city is so bad it makes me want to gag. What I do love is how the sun sets later and how everything seems a little more laid back. I love summer dresses and sandals, smelling BBQ in the air with an ice cold lemonade in my hand, and most of all, the cool breeze that sweeps over you when you need it the most.

Unfortunately, I don't have a grill here, but I was still able to make myself a burger, some sweet corn and a simple pasta dish to get me in the 4th of July spirit. Of course I topped it off with some strawberry cheesecake ice cream and a bowl of cherries that I'm consuming right now. That's another thing I love about summer--the fruits. I've kept my fridge stocked with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries and nectarines. I'd probably have watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe too if I wasn't so lazy about cutting them up. Maybe I can talk my mom into doing it for me when I go home again.

Anyway, I hope all of you had a fabulous July 4th. I'm going to see if I can squeeze in one more ep of True Blood before I go to bed. Yes, I've added yet another show to my list of favorites. And yes, I know this is getting ridiculous. :)

I think I hear my neighbors yelling again. Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. As I watched the Macy's fireworks on TV I was thinking of you and wondering if you could see them from your neighborhood. Looks like you got a better view than we did from TV! Glad you had a great Fourth. xoxo DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...yelling neighbors or sexing neighbors. I wonder which I'd prefer.

    ReplyDelete