Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'd Rather Be...

When I'm at work and 4:30 p.m. hits, I like to play a game called, "5 Places I'd Rather Be." Today's locations include:

1. On a ship (heavily medicated) in the Aegean Sea
2. Disneyland. (This happens once every few years, and I've been seeing lots of commercials lately.)
3. On the deck of a beach house looking at a sunset
4. Hanging out in CA with my sister's puppies
5. In an empty pool

The list is different every day, but #3 and #4 show up pretty often.

I'm usually wiped out by 3 p.m. After five hours of sitting behind a desk I tend to get antsy. If I could find a job that allows me to work on a laptop from anywhere, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Technically, this job could easily be that, but unfortunately, my bosses would see it more as a detriment than a benefit.

My least favorite time of the day has to be the afternoon, specifically 2-5, even on the weekends. During the week it drags and I'm prone to falling asleep. On weekends it's kind of a signal to me that the day's almost over, meaning Monday will be here before I know it. Yeah, 2-5 is a killer for me.

So what exactly is my favorite time of the day? Oddly enough, it's 2-5 a.m.--well, if I'm still awake. During those times when I'm still up, I find myself enjoying the complete silence (well, as silent as it can possibly be considering where I live). There's something about thinking that I'm the only one awake that's comforting to me. I know no one is going to bother me about deadlines or projects that need to get done. I know that no one's going to interrupt me if I have a thought that needs to be written down. I know it's just me and my thoughts, and I'm OK with that scenario.

On Friday night I stayed up until 4 a.m. reading a book. For some reason I felt compelled to finish it. It's been a while since I've done that and it felt good. There were a few moments when I stopped reading and just listened. What did I hear? Nothing. Absolutely nothing--and it was nice. It was just me and the book, and I felt...relaxed. Let me tell you, that doesn't happen very often. Yes, I get tired to the point of not being able to move or think, but that's not what one would call relaxed.

Anyway, I'd also have to say that morning, around 6-8, is another favorite--if I'm actually up at that time. I find it really odd that I like these times of the day when I'm totally not a morning person. It takes me 30 minutes just to drag myself out of bed in the morning. But I have a feeling that if I didn't have this lame 9-5 schedule to maintain, I'd be a better morning person.

Anyway...right now I'd rather be in bed. Night!

4 comments:

  1. Comments on places #4 and #5. Your sister's puppies are annoying. And by empty pool do you mean a pool devoid of water or people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever smarty pants. And by pants I mean ass. First, my sister's puppies are cute. They don't like you, which means they're really smart, too. Second, by empty pool, of course I mean devoid of water. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you forgot #6: Watching a one-on-one basketball game between Bryan Greenberg and James Lafferty. DS

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good one! I'll have to add that to a future list.

    ReplyDelete