Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adventures in NYC

I've lived here for about six years now, but some days I still feel like a tourist. One of the great things about having out-of-town guests is they give me an excuse to do things in this city I've never done before. I originally wanted to give you a rundown of everything I did while they were here, but I'm in no mood to write a really long post. So I'll just give you a few highlights.

While WH was here, we decided to hop on the 1 train and take it to Battery Park. This was my first time down there, and I was not disappointed. It's a gorgeous park with some incredible views. If you're reading this, could you send me some of the pics, WH? I was a lame tourist and forgot to bring my camera. After walking around a little bit and trying to avoid some very large snakes that were on display, we found ourselves by the Wall Street Bull. Of course everyone and their mama was there taking pics on the bull and at the bull's ass. Then it was off to St. Paul's Church and Trinity Church. Although I'd never hang out at a cemetery at night, there's something about walking around a really old one that's fascinating to me. It was cool to look at all the headstones and how they'd aged over the years. If you can look past the creepiness and forget the horror movies, there really is this unexplainable beauty about a cemetery--especially the old ones.

While the Mizzou Boys were here, we saw a ton of things and walked just about everywhere. This time, I actually managed to snap a few photos.

I finally got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Although I have this total fear of heights, I was able to look straight ahead and get to the other side--and then do it all over again since the car was parked in Brooklyn. Here are a few pics:

Welcome to Brooklyn

The Brooklyn Bridge

A view of the Manhattan Bridge from the Brooklyn Bridge

We also decided to make a trip to Coney Island--another first for me:

The boardwalk

The Cyclone rollercoaster

Freaky posters

We spent an entire day devoted to all things Japan. I attended my first-ever Japan Day in Central Park. Of course Hello Kitty was there to make an appearance:

Hello Kitty in a traditional Japanese outfit

L-Dawg and I visited one of the Japanese bookstores on his list. This is where I found a book I totally wanted called Brown Diary. It's kind of odd because it's filled with pictures of a teddy bear doing all sorts of things--kind of like that garden gnome that travels the world. Anyway, when I saw the picture below, I totally wanted it but didn't really think paying $20 for the book was the best thing to do given my economic state. I thought I'd be able to snag a bunch of photos from the website, but apparently it doesn't exist anymore. Luckily, L-Dawg was able to find this for me:

Too cute! I love that he's in his PJs!

After the bookstore, we all met up again to eat at Ninja New York. This was truly an experience--ninjas serving our food, dishes served in flames, ninjas trying to stab us with their plastic swords--very fun! I don't have any pics of this, but hopefully one of my guests will be kind enough to send me their pictures from the trip. ;)

Those were just a few things I'd never done in the city and was happy to do for the first time with some of my favorite people. Another cool highlight was our celebrity sighting at Cafe Habana. We're pretty sure we saw Blake Lively eating at the table near the door. I'm pretty sure it was her because I'd just seen her at the CW upfronts the week before. Yes, I was able to see a few celebrities as I stood outside of MSG waiting like the fangirl I am, but sadly, I did not see the people I really liked. All the actors from the old-school WB shows were not in attendance. Instead, I was only able to see the casts of 90210, Gossip Girl, Melrose Place, the new vampire show and the new show about models. It was a little disappointing.

Before I sign off for tonight, I have one last thing I'd like to share. The other day, I received a package in the mail from DS. When I opened it, I found the first season of October Road staring at me. I love that show, and I love Bryan Greenberg even more. I saw him in concert last December (yes, he's a singer/musician, too) and I'll be seeing him in concert again on June 18. So excited! Anyway, I called DS to thank her, not realizing there was more to her present. She told me to open it up and when I did I totally freaked out. When she went to his L.A. concert, she was kind enough to get an autograph for me since she knew I'd never get the cajones to do it myself. Bryan Greenberg signed my DVD with her Bono sharpie! Check it out:


That's right, you read it correctly--he wished I was there. LOL! How awesome is that?! She's a total rockstar! I'm so lucky to have such awesome friends. I really am--they're all awesome in their own special way. Sometimes I just feel so undeserving, but I'm so very thankful I have them.

Speaking of friends, a few of them have been going through a rough time lately. Without naming names (I think you know who you are) and broadcasting your business across the net, I just wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you're dealing with a lot right now, but if you need anything, just let me know.

I hope all the readers of my little blog are happy and doing well. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment