Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Weekend in DC--the Real DC, Not the TV One

A few weekends ago (the big blizzard weekend) I had a work function in DC. Since my work thing was only one night, I decided to take Friday off and just spend the rest of the time in DC. It was definitely a good weekend to be away from NYC. As I sat in my hotel room watching the news, I was very thankful that I didn't have to trudge through the snow.

I did, however, have to drive through the beginning of the first (smaller) storm Thursday morning and it was not fun. I came close to dying when some idiot in the next lane didn't see me in his blind spot and started moving into my lane. Granted, there was a ton of snow swirling around us, but that's no reason to not turn your head before changing lanes. By the time I got to Delaware, the snow had disappeared.

The work function was all fine and dandy, but I was so glad to be back in my hotel room at the end of the night. I crawled into my bed with my Starbucks pumpkin bread I'd bought earlier and watched the final night of Olympics figure skating. I probably should have hung out in the hotel lobby because there were a lot of hot guys staying there, but I was tired and looking like I'd just walked through hell--which is a pretty accurate statement.

The next day I moved into a hotel in DC (thanks to my sister who used her huge discount and paid my entire bill) and spent the afternoon relaxing at the Newseum. Yes, I'm a dork. I went to the news museum and loved every minute of it. If I lived in DC I would totally be a volunteer. I loved it so much, I'm dedicating a separate post to it, complete with photos.

Until then, here are a few pics of the Navy Memorial:



I liked this quote by JFK, so I took a picture. It reads: Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy."

Anyway, after the Newseum I was pretty wiped out so I just ordered room service and spent the night with Clark Kent.

On Saturday I moved into ZN's home. She and her family were kind enough to let me crash in their guest room. I wish I'd taken a pic of their house because it's pretty awesome. They have one of those DC row houses with a porch and cute little swing out front. The inside was just as impressive, but I could have done without all the stairs. I don't know how they do it with a kid. They definitely use a whole lot of baby gates. What I really loved was the bay window in their living room. I absolutely love bay windows with window seats. I'll just have to visit again this summer and take a pic when there isn't piles of snow sitting out front.

This visit with ZN was the first time I'd seen her in six years--before she got married and had a kid. Speaking of the kid, she's quite adorable. ZN described her as having a personality and she certainly does have one. She and her husband are so laid back, it's kind of funny that they have a child that's just a ball of constant energy. She was all smiles while I was there, with the exception of a few cranky moments because of a missed nap. I was a little scared she wouldn't like me since I've kind of been hit or miss with kids lately, but she warmed up really fast. I guess I was giving off good energy that day because she just kept laughing and smiling at me, which made me smile even more.

ZN took me to Georgetown for lunch then drove me around DC neighborhoods I hadn't seen before during my other visits. We got some great Indian takeout for dinner, picked up her hubby from work and had a nice, quiet dinner since the little babe fell asleep in the car. The next morning they took me to this cool hole-in-the-wall diner that had the best pancakes! Thinking about them is making my mouth water right now. ZN decided that since there were so many other great restaurants to take me to, I needed to plan another visit this summer. With so many bus companies in NYC going there and selling cheap tix, there's no reason why I can't. Besides, waiting another six years to visit is really not acceptable when we're only a 4-hour bus ride away.

Or maybe I'll plan a mega road trip and hit ZN in DC, WH in TN, RI in NC and SS in PA. Who wants to go?

When I returned home, this is what was waiting for me outside my building:


It was that high on the other side of the driveway and a lot of the cars on the street were still covered in snow.

Thankfully, spring is almost here and the outlook for this weekend is 70s and beautiful. I hope it's just as wonderful for you!

P.S. The only down side to this great weather is now my neighbors feel the need to hang out on their front stoop, which is near my bedroom window. It's 11:00 on a work night. I wished they'd STFU already. I think I heard a door slam--thank goodness!

4 comments:

  1. I want to go to the Newseum! I can also complete relate to sometimes wanting to spend an evening with a hot fictional guy instead of having to deal with real people, particularly after a long day in challenging weather. Glad you had a great trip and got there and back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fictional guy? What are you talking about? He's completely real! Just kidding--I'm not that far gone. I'm still (somewhat) attached to reality. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing that discount is back into play. Also, I really think you should have gone and hung out on the stoop. It could totally have been like 227! You could be like Mary Jenkins and I'd be Sandra Clark! (FYI I did wikipedia that stuff, I'm not an expert on 227 or anything)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You as Sooooooondra Clark? Hmmmm, that's something I'd like to see. You might be able to get the look down, but I'm not sure you can nail the voice. You'll have to work on it.

    ReplyDelete