Friday, April 10, 2009

Special Delivery

It's late and I should actually be in bed right now, but I'm doing some last-minute things before I jet off to the West Coast tomorrow. The week before I leave for a vacation is always so hectic at work, but for some reason, it's been a little more difficult this time around. There are a lot of things I'm responsible for, which means there's a lot I need to get ready for those who are covering for me.

My boss always experiences anxiety when I'm not at my desk, and I'm really hoping she refrains from picking up the phone and calling me with some stupid problem that can easily be fixed when I return. Unfortunately, my boss' anxiety causes my coworker to feel uneasy, which means she's going to be a little more stressed out than normal next week. Then there's the officemate who's taking on the bulk of my work. Normally she's pretty calm, but today it became clear to me that she might be getting a little nervous as well. Yes, I work in a very nervous office.

Anyway, once I tie up all my loose ends and send everyone their personalized email update, I'm off to Cali for a much-needed vacation. But that's not the only thing I'm looking forward to on this trip. This time of the year, especially this particularly month, is my favorite because it's my birthday month! It's the one day of the entire year when it's all about me! Me, me, me! Yes, I'm that self-centered and obnoxious on my birthday. Live with it.

When I woke up this morning, I had the unfortunate misfortune of my alarm going off in the middle of a really great dream. Don't you hate it when that happens? When I shut it off I desperately tried to get back into the dream, but I just couldn't. I was so annoyed I thought this day would totally suck. Yes, work was chaotic, but shortly after I arrived at the office I received a very special delivery. One of my very thoughtful friends sent me flowers for my birthday, which instantly brought a smile to my face. Although I'll be seeing her next week, she decided to send the flowers early instead of breaking tradition. Here are my pretty flowers sitting on my desk:

My officemate has kindly offered to water them while I'm gone, so we'll see if they're still alive when I get back.

To brighten the day a little more, my officemate received a package of her own--a box of Godiva chocolates from one of our photographers. Of course we ripped that sucker open and started inhaling them. We had no intention of sharing those wonderful morsels with anyone. I think we still have some left for tomorrow.

But the surprises didn't stop there. When I got home, I was very happy to find a birthday card among my endless number of bills. The card was so cute, I just had to share it:

My dear sweet friend is great at picking out cards that reflect me and our friendship. She knows my love of strawberries runs deep, so this card is pretty perfect. Plus, who doesn't love the musings of a child?

I'm very excited to be home for my birthday--it's been a while since I've actually spent it with my family and friends in SoCal. Every year my birthday wish is to have ALL my friends together in one place, but the reality is that just can't happen when they're spread all over the country. Oh well, that's OK. As long as they remember me on my day, then that's good enough for me! Yeah, I'm talking to you Mr. Perpetual Mixtape and Mr. Reset Button. We don't want a repeat of the 2007 bday debacle. I kid, I kid...sort of. Didn't I tell you I was obnoxious?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be blogging from the West Coast, but I hope everyone has a Happy Passover or Happy Easter! I'm off to see if I can get last night's dream back. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment