Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Beginnings


New Year, New Start


The image above was taken four days into the new year and it was then, surrounded by the peaceful beauty of home, that I made a silent promise to do better this year, to make things happen, to continue to work my way toward my goals and to open my heart to possibilities.

Last year was the beginning of really living and focusing on myself. For so long I'd felt like I was only going through the motions without feeling much of anything. Yes, I've experienced and seen so much during the decade I've lived on this side of the country, but I was a hermit socially. I had my circle of friends and didn't feel the need to expand beyond my beloved circle.

But as I started taking better care of myself and letting others in, I realized that even though I was content with my life, it could be so much better if I just allowed myself to let go and enjoy the ride. I still have a long way to go, but I made so much more progress in 2013 than I had the nine years prior to that supposedly unlucky year.

I traveled a lot, strengthened bonds with friends and family, learned to love myself a little more, let people enter my life and leave without my world falling apart, and had fun adventures I will remember for the rest of my life.

Although I started to slip into my old ways toward the end of the year, I want to get myself back on track in 2014. I want to travel more--finally see Niagara Falls, be lazy on a beach in the Caribbean, maybe even hop over to the UK to catch a tennis match. I want to meet more hot Irish Guys who make me feel like the most wanted girl in the room and talented Music Men who can have random conversations with me about anything (more about both of them in another post). I want to spend more time with the people I love. I want to feel good about myself and believe I'm worth it all the time. I want to finish something creative and share it with the world.

As the year goes on and the responsibilities of daily life slowly start to consume me, I need to make a conscious effort to take a step back and put things in perspective. I need to avoid the pattern of five steps forward, 10 steps back and focus on taking one step at a time, one foot in front of the other, no matter how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment