Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beauty

I've never really been a big fan of musicians. Hmmm, let me re-phrase that...I've never followed the career of any particular musicians from beginning to end. Sure, I like listening to music and I respect the talent it takes to write songs and perform them, but I've never been that person who has favorite artists and goes to all their concerts and buys every one of their CDs. I have a lot of friends who do and I think it's awesome that they know every word of every song and have collections of ticket stubs and cool T-shirts. I guess I just never connected with an artist like they did. Sure, there are songs that have spoken to me and conveyed everything I've ever wanted to say, but those were one-shots. I found that the rest of the songs on the album didn't really say much to me at all even though it was fun to listen to them.

However, there is one musician I've been following regularly since I heard her song on an episode of Smallville two years ago: MariƩ Digby. The minute her first album came out I knew I had to have it, because every song I'd heard on her MySpace page touched something in me. The album definitely didn't disappoint--it was on heavy rotation on my iPod for a very long time. In fact, the song on Smallville has a permanent spot on my "Songs I Listen to on the Commute" playlist because I smile every time I hear it. I also began reading her blog posts, watching her videos and checking her Twitter updates. I even went to one of her concerts in NYC. I guess you could say I became a fan.

The only reason I'm mentioning her now is because I read something she posted today about beauty and I thought the message itself was, well, beautiful. She obviously isn't the only artist out there who feels this way and this is by no means an original idea (Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" is the anthem for this topic), but I think what I like about it is how she explains it all--with a good story.

Anyway, if you want to read it, you can check it out here: "What is beauty to you?"


No comments:

Post a Comment